Monday, June 2, 2008

Glucose test nightmare

So at my 28 week appt last Friday, I had to do the 1 hour glucose test again (I had done it early on in pregnancy and passed just fine with a blood sugar level of 112). This time I tested at 149, about 14 points over what the maximum can be. Looking back, I'm kicking myself in the butt for eating that Egg McMuffin right before my appointment. I thought the protein would be fine, but turns out that the EMcM has 30 grams of carbs in it, which might have made my level higher (they tell you not to eat sugar/carb before the test).

So, failing the 1 hour, I had to take the 3 hour glucose test. Not fun. They have you eat tons of carbs the days before the test, then you fast for 12 hours before the test. So I went in starving this morning (pregnant women don't do well 12 hours without eating) and that means I was nauseous. I get sick to my stomach these days when my tummy is empty. Then, they have you drink a whole bottle of sugary drink, which is best described as soda pop syrup. Then they have you sit around in the office and they test your blood each hour for three hours.

My fasting level, before drinking the sugar, was 84. That's totally good. They want it below 95, and my dad told me that around 70 gets pretty dangerous, so I was doing good so far.
But about 45 minutes into the first hour, I couldn't hold it down anymore. The sugar overload was too much for my starved stomach, and I threw up in the bathroom.

What does that mean? IT MEANS I HAVE TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN! The nurses pitied me, and they gave me a prescription for an anti-nausea drug... why couldn't they have offered me that the first time around???

And between the Egg McMuffin crap and the fasting level of 84, I'm wondering if I really need to be doing this anyway? I am at high risk, because diabetes is so prevalent in our family. But I have no signs of gestational diabetes either (other than the slightly high 1 hour level). Eisley isn't over sized, which is a sign. I haven't gained excessive weight (7 lbs total so far) which is a sign of GD.

Ugh... wish me and my tummy luck on Friday. If that anti-nausea pill doesn't work and I puke again I'm telling them too bad. I'm not doing this a 3rd time.

No comments:

Post a Comment